Monday, May 23, 2011

The Weather

There is so much happening in my world right now, that if I don't focus on something else, I will go crazy. That brings us to that age-old, conversation starter...the weather.

I currently reside in California. "Sunny California" fits the bill (even when we are experiencing "June Gloom" and it's only May...LOL). Some folks would say that we don't have weather. In fact, I've caught myself saying those same words, but that's not true. We have weather...great weather!

Too bad the rest of the country cannot boast about great weather. The Southern States (Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia) have been having anything but great weather. Add the flooding of the Mississippi (in Louisiana and Mississippi), and now the deadly tornadoes in Missouri and I find myself very grateful to live here, June Gloom or not!

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania where we had ALL types of "weather". Blinding snow storms, sleet, hail, freezing rain, and below freezing temperatures in the winter. The flooding in June and July. 200% (it certainly FEELS that way) humidity in July and August. Spectacular lightening displays and thunderstorms almost any time during the year. The nip in the air in October and the first frost in November. It's so wonderful (well, except when there are hazardous conditions left in the wake of the weather) to feel the seasons change. I find myself longing for a change in the weather...instead of the Southern California forecast "morning fog clearing to afternoon sunshine". Please, don't get me wrong; I love living here! I find it hard even contemplating moving back to PA or anywhere else in this wonderful country of ours. But just once in a while, I'd really like to feel the autumn chill in the air and not feel like a total doofus when I say "I'm FREEZING!" and it's only 58 degrees F.

No comments:

Post a Comment